King Tut, the footballer Pharaoh, is the official Mascot for 2019 AFCON, underway in Egypt from...
Uganda Hockey Association (UHA)
Field Hockey is a team sport played on grass, watered turf, artificial turf or synthetic field, as well as an indoor boarded surface. The object of hockey is to hit a ball with a stick into a goal. Every time the ball goes into the goal then a point is awarded to that team. The team with the most goals at the end of the game is awarded the winner.
Rules of the Game:
1. Each team is made up of 11 players and 6 substitutes
2. Hockey players can only hit the ball with the flat side of their stick.
3. Hockey players (other than the goalkeeper) are not allowed to use their feet, or any other parts of the body, to control the ball at any time.
4. A goal can only be scored either from a field goal, a penalty corner, or from a penalty stroke.
5. Hockey players may not trip, push, charge, interfere with, or physically handle an opponent in any way. Hockey is a non-contact sport.
Players and Equipment:
Each team consist of 11 players: 1 goalkeeper and 10 outfield players (defenders, midfielders and attackers).
The Hockey pitch is 100 yards long and 60 yards wide. At each end the pitch will include a goal which is 4 yards wide. A hard ball is used in hockey along with each player having a wooden stick. Only the flat side of the stick can be used and a foul will be called for any player using the back.
For protection, players wear shin pads and gum shields. Goal keepers wear a lot more padding (Face mask, helmet, padded gloves, chest pad and leg guards).
Each game lasts for two 35 minute halves with a 5 minute rest in between.
Hockey in Uganda:
Hockey in Uganda is traced as far back as 1920 with the establishment of the Entebbe Goan Institute Knockout League Cup. Uganda Hockey Association was formed between 1944 and 1945 and by 1957, Uganda had its first ever outing to Nairobi for the DeSouza Gold Cup and this resulted in the growth of the sport.
Uganda Hockey Federation is the body mandated to promote the sport of Hockey in Uganda and is registered with National Council of Sports and is affiliated internationally to the International Hockey Federation in Switzerland.
Some of the National Hockey Calendar events include:
-National Hockey League (Men and Women)
Mr. Philip Wafula Mulindo
Mr. Stanley Tamale
Lugogo Sports Complex
Plot 2-10 Coronation Avenue, Lugogo
P.O. Box 20077, Kampala