King Tut, the footballer Pharaoh, is the official Mascot for 2019 AFCON, underway in Egypt from...
Pool Association of Uganda (PAU)
Pool is a classification of cue sports played on a table with six pockets along the rails, into which ball are deposited. The object of pool is to pot all of your designated balls (either stripes or solids) and then pot the 8 ball, thus winning the game. Pool matches often consist of several games in a ‘best out of’ format and players attempt to win as many games as needed to win the match.
There are many different varieties of Pool; eight-ball, blackball, nine-ball, ten-ball, seven-ball, straight pool, one-pocket and bank pool. However, it is eight-ball that is the more common game and can be played as a singles or doubles game.
Rules of the Game:
• Before the game begins, the object balls should be placed in a triangular rack and positioned at the lower end of the table so that the apex ball of the rack lies on the foot spot. The order of the balls should be random apart from the black 8-ball, which should be placed in the middle of the third row. The white ball should be placed anywhere behind the service line on the table.
• To make a legal break, the player must hit the balls and ensure that four balls hit cushions and that the cue ball doesn’t go down a pocket. If the 8-ball is potted on the break, the player is entitled to ask for a re-rack.
• The first player to pot an object ball will then have to continue to pot the balls from that category (stripes or solids). The opposition player will have to pot the other group.
• A player will continue to make shots until they foul, or fail to pot an object ball. Then it is the turn of the opposing player. Play continues like this for the remainder of the game.
• Once all of a player’s balls have been potted, they must then sink the 8 ball.
Table(approximately 9 feet by 4.5 feet), Balls (16 balls; comprising a white cue ball, 7 striped balls, 7 solid balls, and 1 black ball (8 ball), Cues for each player, and Chalk.
Winning the Game:
8 Ball pool is won when; A player pots all of their designated balls and then legally pockets the 8 ball into their nominated pocket, The opposing player illegally pots the 8 ball before clearing their own set of balls or the 8 ball is knocked of the table by the opposition.
Pool in Uganda:
Founded in 2003 by a group of pool enthusiasts, Pool Association of Uganda is the body mandated to promote the sport of pool in Uganda and is registered with National Council of Sports and internationally affiliated to the World Pool-Billiard Association.
Some of the National Pool Calendar events include;
-National Pool Open
-Kampala Pool League
Mr. Bob Trubish
Mr. Paul Wasike
P.O. Box 33668, Kampala
T: +256 414669343