King Tut, the footballer Pharaoh, is the official Mascot for 2019 AFCON, underway in Egypt from...
American Football Association of Uganda (AFAU)
American Football is a team sport played by two teams of eleven players on a rectangular field with goalposts at each end. The object of American football is to score more points than your opponents in the allotted time. To do this they must move the ball down the pitch in phases of play before eventually getting the ball into the ‘end zone’ for a touchdown. This can be achieved by either throwing the ball to a teammate or running with the ball.
Rules of the Game:
• When a player scores a touchdown six points are awarded to their team. A touchdown can be scored by either carrying the ball into the end zone or receiving the ball from a pass whilst in the end zone.
• Each team has 4 downs to gain 10 or more yards. They can either throw or run the ball to make the yards. As soon as the team gains the required yards then the downs reset and the yardage resets. Failure to make the yardage after 4 downs will result in a turnover.
• There are hundreds of different plays that players can run on any down. Plays are made up by the teams and often have players running all over the place (routes) in what is essentially organised chaos. \a
• At the start of every game is the coin toss to decide which team receives the ball first and which side of the pitch they want to start from.
• The game begins with a kick-off where one team punts the ball down field for the other team to then run back with the ball as far as possible.
• On fourth down the offence has the option to either try to make up the yards they are short or to kick the ball. If they decide to kick they have two options; to punt or to try for a field goal. Depending on their position on the pitch will usually dictate their paly. Anything within 40 yards or so of the opposition’s goal posts will result in a field goal attempt. Further back will likely mean they take the punt option.
Players and Equipment:
Whilst there are only 11 players from each team on the field at any team, an American football team is actually made up of 45 players. The teams are generally split into three groups of attacking (generally smaller, stronger, faster type of players), defence (larger, more powerful players) and special team players (responsible for the kicking and punting side of the game with a mixture of larger and faster players).
An American football field is generally around 100 yards long and 60 yards wide. Lines are drawn on the field at 10 yard interval to indicate how far each team has to go before reaching the end zone. The end zones are added at each end of the pitch and are roughly 20 yards in length each. Posts can also be found at each end of which the kicker kicks the ball over.
An American football field is generally around 100 yards long and 60 yards wide. Lines are drawn on the field at 10 yard interval to indicate how far each team has to go before reaching the end zone.
Players are required to wear safety equipment. At a minimum players must wear a football helmet and a set of shoulder pad and additional padding such as thigh pads and guards, knee pads, chest protectors, and mouth guards.
Games last for four 15 minute quarters in professional games with a 2 minute break between quarters.
American Football in Uganda:
American Football Association of Uganda is the body mandated to promote the sport of American Football in Uganda. In 2019 the association got formal registration with National Council of Sports and is affiliated internationally to the International Federation of American Football in France.
Mr. Steven Okeng
Mr. Tonny Okello
Mutesa II Road, Ntinda